House Hunting is Fun! Finding the hidden savings in insurance while house hunting is even better! Below you will see 9 things to look out for while home buying that may help you reduce your monthly home insurance premiums!
1. The ROOF: Be sure the roof has been updated within the last 5-10 years. If the insurance company is worried about a claim they will raise your rate. (you may be eligible for tax break on this too!)
2. Storm Shutters: If you live in a high wind or hurricane area, when the house is equipped with storm shutters or hurricane shutters you may just be able to save up to 2%!
3. Updated Electric System: simple answer… house + old wires = fires. However, If you have an updated home, renovation, or new wiring you qualify for a discounted premium. If thats not the case maybe you’re considering new wiring? Depending on the age of your home, you may qualify for a new wiring credit.
4. Alarm System: From installing adequate locks to hiring a team to install alarms throughout your house, preventing home break-ins can lead to a 2% to 5%, savings. Claim Solutions recommends using locks made by a brand name, and having three locks per door.
5. Location, Location, LOCATION: Do you live in a gated community? Your home insurance shares your peace of mind in knowing there’s a layer of security between you and home invaders, and may be willing to credit you for lessening their risk. Better yet, if you live near your local fire department in a safe, quiet, easily accessible neighborhood, your homeowners insurance might be lower than if your home is located off the beaten path.
6. Updated Heating/Cooling: Its simple, similar to the updated electrical… LESS RISK OF CLAIM!
7. Home/Auto Bundle: On average, a bundle can save you up to 15% or more on your insurance premiums.
8. Deadbolts: Back to safety, safe home your risk of a theft claim is reduced greatly.
9. Fire & Smoke (& carbon monoxide) detectors: The insurance companies love this! They are just as excited as you are to know your home, your loved ones, and yourself will be safe from all three of these devastatingly expensive fiascos!
Want to learn more ways to save? Give us a call.. Send an email… Or check us out on our social media pages!